Subject: Re: [patch] checkpatch: remove the ether_addr_copy warning

From: Dan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 17:47:29 +0300

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 07:22:27AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 12:35 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > Most people sending checkpatch.pl fixes don't know how to verify the
> > alignment.  This checkpatch warning just encourages newbies to try
> > introduce bugs.  Patch submitters tell us that they just sed the code
> > and it's the job for the maintainer to check that it's correct.
> 
> I haven't seen many instances of bad patch submittals
> on netdev.  Is this mostly an issue for staging?

I don't follow netdev so I can't say.

Most of the time data is aligned at a 4 byte mark so probably you are
just getting lucky.  I really doubt that netdev checkpatch newbies know
about alignment...

> 
> Maybe a downgrade to CHK requiring --strict is OK.

I would actually like to turn --strict by default in staging.

Checkpatch is a good concept, but it should only do safe things instead
of telling newbies to send buggy patches.

regards,
dan carpenter