Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] ptp/clcok:Introduce the setktime/getktime interfaces with "ktime_t" type

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:49:51 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 02:43:42PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Doing gettime separately from settime would be rather silly here, so trying
> to avoid the conditional would mean doing a single large patch across all
> drivers.

There is really no need for any dancing around here.  There are
seventeen users total.

  drivers/net/ethernet/adi/bfin_mac.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/amd/xgbe/xgbe-ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_main.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.h
  drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fec_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/gianfar_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/fm10k/fm10k_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/i40e/i40e_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/en_clock.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ptp.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/ti/cpts.c
  drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tilegx.c
  drivers/net/phy/dp83640.c

Instead of changing to ktime_t, just use timespec64 instead.  That
way, each change will be a couple of lines per file.
 
> I do agree however that we should merge the entire series at once so
> we end up with a reasonable state afterwards, and we only need the conditional
> in order to have a bisectable git history.

It is still bisectable with one or two patches.

Thanks,
Richard