Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next V2 19/23] ptp: tilegx: convert to the 64 bit get/set time methods.

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:58:39 +0100

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:02:03PM -0400, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> This driver is 64-bit only.  Would it make more sense to just change
> the accessors from gettime/settime to gettime/settime64 and nothing
> else, i.e. rely on the current behavior that timespec and timespec64
> are the same type, and trust the compiler to fail it if somehow someone
> tried to build this driver into a 32-bit kernel?

On the one hand, I think the best way would be for
gxio_mpipe_get/set_timestamp to also take a timespec64, because it
makes the width clear.  With a plain old timespec, you have to
remember whether you are 64 bit or not.  However, but I couldn't tell
if changing gxio_mpipe_get/set_timestamp would work for other callers
or not.

If the driver is 64 bit only, shouldn't that be reflected in the
Kconfig?

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the change you suggest, if it were
super obvious that the code is 64 bit only.  It was not obvious to me.

Thanks,
Richard