Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/17] IB/Verbs: Implement new callback query_transport() for each HW

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:01:23 -0600

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 10:34:30AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> These are exactly the tests I proposed Jason.  I'm not sure I see your
> point here.  I guess my point is that although the scenario of all the
> different items seems complex, it really does boil down to needing only
> exactly what I proposed earlier to fulfill the entire test matrix.

I have no problem with minimizing a bitmap, but I want the accessors
to make sense first.

My specific problem with your suggestion was combining cap_ib_mad,
cap_ib_sa, and cap_ib_smi into rdma_port_ib_fabric_mgmt.

Not only do the three cap things not return the same value for all
situations, the documentary knowledge is lost by the reduction.

I'd prefer we look at this from a 'what do the call sites need' view,
not a 'how do we minimize' view.

I've written this before: The mess here is that it is too hard to know
what the call sites are actually checking for when it is some baroque
conditional.

Jason