Subject: Re: [PATCHSET] printk, netconsole: implement reliable netconsole

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:51:28 -0700

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:17:12 -0400 (EDT)
David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:28:26 -0400
> 
> > On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:35:06AM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> >> If the sender side can wait for retransmission, why can't we use
> >> userspace programs (e.g. rsyslogd)?
> > 
> > Because the system may be oopsing, ooming or threshing excessively
> > rendering the userland inoperable and that's exactly when we want
> > those log messages to be transmitted out of the system.
> 
> If userland cannot run properly, it is almost certain that neither will
> your complex reliability layer logic.
> 
> I tend to agree with Tetsuo, that in-kernel netconsole should remain
> as simple as possible and once it starts to have any smarts and less
> trivial logic the job belongs in userspace.

Keep existing netconsole as simple as possible. It is not meant as
reliable, secure logging.

"Those who do not understand TCP are doomed to reinvent it"