Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 00/15] Simplify netfilter and network namespaces

From: Pablo Neira Ayuso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:06:22 +0200

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:07:30PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> 
> While looking into what it would take to route packets out to network
> devices in other network namespaces I started looking at the netfilter
> hooks, and there is a lot of nasty code to figure out which network
> namespace to filter the packets in.
>
> Just passing the network namespace into the netfilter hooks looks like a
> significant simplication in the code, and worth it as the first thing
> most netfilter hooks do is compute the network namespace.
> 
> We probably even want per network namespace netfilter hooks as nftables
> tries (and fails to use).  nftables currently has a fairly serious bug
> where the tables for one network namespace run for packets in all
> network namespaces.  I do not have a fix yet but I think this patchset
> making it easy to get at the network namespace is a good starting
> place for a fix.

I have a patchset that is almost ready to convert netfilter to pernet
hooks, it partially clashes with this. Will send it out today and will
Cc you so you can review it.

I think it should take me little time to rebase it on top of yours.
It's rather large changeset, which quite a lot of boiler plate code
though.