Subject: Re: [PATCH] veth: replace iflink by a dedicated symlink in sysfs

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:53:07 +0200

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:33:14 +0200, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
> Probably better to introduce veth netlink attribute then, something like
> IFLA_VETH_PEER and keeps IFLA_LINK_NETNSID.

I'd prefer IFLA_PEER. More generic attribute will be helpful should we
introduce an interface similar to veth in the future.

Also, I'd not combine IFLA_LINK_NETNSID with IFLA_PEER. There might
very well be an interface in the future that will need both IFLA_LINK and
IFLA_PEER and this would just create a confusion. It may be unlikely
but the attributes are cheap and it doesn't make sense to design uAPI
in a way that might bring problems in the future.

> I also don't know what is the best way to handle this. veth advertises
> its peer via IFLA_LINK since 4.1, so it's too late to change it for this
> release.

Apparently we need to pick our poison. Either way, we break something.

 Jiri

-- 
Jiri Benc