Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 net-next 5/8] geneve: Add support to collect tunnel metadata.

From: Thomas Graf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:48:01 +0200

On 08/25/15 at 09:50am, Jesse Gross wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Pravin Shelar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Moving this device means moving all tunnels backed by this device
> > rather than specific tunnel device. Thats why it does not look right
> > to move such device.
> 
> I agree it seems weird in general. There were two things that made me wonder:
>  * It doesn't appear that VXLAN or GRE do this.
>  * The use case for moving a single tunnel to a different namespace is
> to have the device and socket live in different places. I guess
> conceptually this could apply to collect_md devices as well. (Maybe to
> have harder isolation between inside and outside the tunnel?)
> 
> I'm not really sure what the best answer is but at least we should be
> consistent across tunnel types.

I agree with Jesse that consistent behaviour is desirable. If needed,
let's change it for all encap types.