Subject: Re: [PATCH net 0/2] lwtunnel: make it really work, for IPv4

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:35:11 +0200

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:09:14 -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> *Blink* You were targeting net.git with a feature enhancement????
> I will just ignore that.

I do not. This is set is a minimal fix to make IP based lwtunnels with
tunnel information specified in a route working (for IPv4, anyway).
Note that lwtunnels and IP/UDP based lwtunnels is a new feature merged
for 4.3. This set fixes a flaw in that feature.

Eric, I'd like you to ask how do you propose to fix this problem in
net.git. So far, your proposals were:

1. Use a new ndo to "reverse" metadata dst. I can do that but all
   current users will just call iptunnel_metadata_reply. Seems to be
   superfluous but whatever.

2. Replace metadata_dst on ingress with a combination of cb and
   outer_*_header. This is certainly not suitable for net.git and won't
   solve the problem anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm going to resubmit patch 2 as a separate fix, as this is
kind of urgent. Having non working feature in a released kernel is sad
but only a temporary problem. Having non working uAPI in a released
kernel is a problem we'll have to deal with forever.

 Jiri

-- 
Jiri Benc