Subject: Re: HW communication debugging interface - ideas?

From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:32:33 -0300

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 03:51:41PM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Hi Dave/all.
> 
> There is quite common for drivers to speak with HW using "packet-like"
> messages. In our case, we put message into skb and push that out as
> an ordinary packet. HW then sends us reply in a packet, similar to other
> rx-ed packets.

Better sure than sorry so I'll ask. It's not possible for an application
to inject such skbs somehow, right?  Like, a guest, tied to a bridge,
tied to a port which ends up understanding these skbs.

...
> 2) generic Netlink (genl) interface. Easy to put metadata in, including the
> device identificator (pci address). User then can use nlmon in order to
> be able to use wireshark to see the netlink messages.
> 
> Looks like 2) might be viable, well-defined, generic interface to carry
> this info. What do you think? Does this make sense?

2 seems very interesting, fwiw

  Marcelo