Subject: Re: [Bug 106241] New: shutdown(3)/close(3) behaviour is incorrect for sockets in accept(3)

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 18:09:00 +0100

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 09:50:10PM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> >Sigh...  It completely fails to mention descriptor-passing.  Which
> >	a) is relevant to what "last close" means and
> >	b) had been there for nearly the third of a century.
> 
> Why is that different?  These clearly count as file descriptors.

To quote your own posting upthread (Message-ID:
<[email-masked]>)

> Well, a file descriptor really only exists in the context of a process; 
> in-flight it is no longer a file descriptor as there process context with 
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> a file descriptor table; so pointers to file descriptions are passed 
> around.

IMO it shows that the wording is anything but clear.  The only way to claim
that it's accurate is, indeed, to declare that the contents of in-flight
SCM_RIGHTS datagram should be counted as file descriptors and that's too
much of a stretch for the reasons you've pointed to.