Subject: [net-next PATCH V2 0/3] net: mitigating kmem_cache free slowpath

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 13:14:54 +0100

This patchset is the first real use-case for kmem_cache bulk _free_.
The use of bulk _alloc_ is NOT included in this patchset. The full use
have previously been posted here [1].

The bulk free side have the largest benefit for the network stack
use-case, because network stack is hitting the kmem_cache/SLUB
slowpath when freeing SKBs, due to the amount of outstanding SKBs.
This is solved by using the new API kmem_cache_free_bulk().

Introduce new API napi_consume_skb(), that hides/handles bulk freeing
for the caller.  The drivers simply need to use this call when freeing
SKBs in NAPI context, e.g. replacing their calles to dev_kfree_skb() /
dev_consume_skb_any().

Driver ixgbe is the first user of this new API.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/384302/focus=397373

---

Jesper Dangaard Brouer (3):
      net: bulk free infrastructure for NAPI context, use napi_consume_skb
      net: bulk free SKBs that were delay free'ed due to IRQ context
      ixgbe: bulk free SKBs during TX completion cleanup cycle

 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c |    6 +-
 include/linux/skbuff.h                        |    4 +
 net/core/dev.c                                |    9 ++-
 net/core/skbuff.c                             |   87 +++++++++++++++++++++++--
 4 files changed, 96 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)