Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v2 18/32] dsa: mv88e6xxx: Prepare for turning this into a library module

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:53:11 +0100

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:40:56PM -0500, Vivien Didelot wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Export all the functions so that we can later turn the module into a
> > library module.
> 
> As I mentioned in the first RFC [1], wouldn't that be preferable to
> avoid adding modules and factorize everything into a single one?
> 
> The common code would have a single probe function which calls
> mv88e6xxx_lookup_name for every model tables until it finds the good
> one.

Hi Vivien

This is all possible, but is not the point of what i'm trying to do
with this patchset. I want switch drivers to be linux devices, which
probe in the usual way. The changes i made here is the minimum needed
to allow that. What you are suggesting are further steps that could be
made. But since i already have 30 patches, i would prefer to get them
accepted and then think about this refactoring into one module. Such
refactoring should not change the device tree binding, so it can be
deferred.

	Andrew