Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 2/2] phy: fixed-phy: Allow DT description of an MDIO bus and PHYs.

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:32:44 +0100

> One too many " here.
> 
> > +- #address-cells = <1>;
> > +- #size-cells = <0>;
> > +
> > +Child nodes represent PHYs on this mdio bus. Standard properties for
> > +fixed links, 'speed', 'full-duplex', 'pause', 'asym-pause',
> > +'link-gpios', as defined above are used. Additionally a 'reg' property
> > +is required for the address of the PHY on the bus. This should be of
> > +value 0 to 31.
> 
> This is a virtual bus, the only limitation is because we re-use to the
> maximum permission extent the real MDIO bus code, and this is putting a
> SW constraint on something that does not have one here.

Hi Florian

I now took a look at the core code. PHY_MAX_ADDR is used in quite a
few places, e.g. phy_find_first(), of_mdiobus_link_phydev(),
__mdiobus_register(). In order to be able to use this virtual MDIO bus
just like any other MDIO bus, we need to enforce PHY_MAX_ADDR.
Otherwise it is not going to work.

	  Andrew