Subject: Re: [net PATCH] i40e/i40evf: Limit TSO to 7 descriptors for payload instead of 8 per packet

From: Jesse Brandeburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 11:38:27 -0700

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:12:51 -0700
Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Sowmini Varadhan
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On (03/29/16 23:44), Alexander Duyck wrote:
> >> This patch has been sanity checked only.  I cannot yet guarantee it
> >> resolves the original issue that was reported.  I'll try to get a
> >> reproduction environment setup tomorrow but I don't know how long that
> >> should take.
> >
> > I tried this out with rds-stress on my test-pair, unfortunately, I
> > still see the Tx hang.
> >
> > Setting up the test is quite easy- for reference, the instructions
> > are here:
> >    https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/mailman/message/34936766/
> 
> Yeah.  The patch was sort of a knee-jerk reaction to being told that
> the patch referenced caused a regression.  From what I can tell that

Thanks for working so hard on the patch Alex, I need to apologize, as
the original test appears to fail as well with 1.3.46-k (a previous
driver to your patch) and I thought we had already tested that, but I
was wrong.

This is not a regression, but likely just an undetected "bug" that we
need to work out.

> is not the case as I am also seeing the Tx hangs when I run the test
> with the frames being linearized.

That doesn't make much sense unless it is something about how we are
setting up the offload.  I troubleshoot by disabling the PFR from the
MDD code, then disabling tx timeout via debugfs, and using debugfs to
dump the descriptor ring after the MDD event fires.
 
> I'll do some research this morning to see if I can find a root cause.
> Unfortunately the malicious driver detection isn't very well
> documented so I can't be certain what is causing it to be triggered.

I'm still looking at this too and appreciate the help.