Subject: Re: [PATCH net 3/3] gre: receive also TEB packets for lwtunnels

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:38:52 +0200

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 15:09:16 +1000, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 03:49:38AM +0200, Thomas Graf wrote:
> > I may be missing some context. Is anyone using this already or is this
> > preparing the stage for another user? It's not clear to me from the
> > commit message.
> 
> Hi Thomas,
> 
> I'm not sure what use Jiri may have in mind but I plan to use
> this to allow OvS to support packets without an Ethernet header to
> be received from and sent to a GRE tunnel.
> 
> I am reasonably sure there are no existing users.

Yes, that's the main use case as far as I can see. Sorry for not being
clear.

The intention is to support tunnels that can have mixed L2+L3 traffic
over a single lwtunnel interface. VXLAN-GPE already does this, this
patch makes GRE behave identically, while preserving all current GRE
users.

The reason I sent this for net and not net-next is that I wanted to
prevent the situation when we have a kernel released that supports
ipgre lwtunnels but incompletely - i.e., ETH_P_TEB frames are
discarded. But thinking about it more, it's probably non-issue. I'll
retarget this patch for net-next and resend the first two for net.

Thanks,

 Jiri