Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Add Shared MDIO framework for iProc based SoCs

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:20:38 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 02:48:37PM +0530, Pramod Kumar wrote:
> Broadcom iProc based SoCs uses MDIO bus for programming PHYs belonging to
> different I/O subsystem like USB, SATA, PCIe, ETHERNET etc. Every subsystem
> is referred as "Master" When a master is selected, all PHYs belonging to
> this subsystem get active on the MDIO bus and responds to MDIO transaction.
> In this way one MDIO controller is shared among all masters hence named as
> "Shared MDIO controller".
> 
> We have two important entities in "Shared MDIO Bus" framework:
> 1) shared_mdio_master and
> 2) shared_mdio_driver.
> 
> The shared MDIO controller driver is registered as platform driver and it
> creates shared_mdio_master instances and adds them to "Shared MDIO Bus"
> framework.

Hi Pramod

What i'm missing is an explanation why the existing MDIO bus framework
cannot be used. I recently made it more generic so that you can hang
any type of device off it, not just PHYs.

    Thanks
	Andrew
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html