Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next] net: dsa: Provide CPU port statistics to master netdev

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:13:37 +0200

> > Hi Florian
> > 
> > Interesting concept. My one concern is that by concatenating the two
> > sets of statistics, we get a name clash. I'm not sure the Marvell
> > switch statistics counters have different names to the Marvell
> > Ethernet driver statistics counters. ethtool does not care, but maybe
> > an SNMP agent using these statistics might not be too happy seeing the
> > same name twice?
> 
> That's a very good point, would you agree if we were prefixing the DSA
> CPU port statistics with some kind of name, e.g: cpu_port_<name> or
> something more compact?

Yes, that would be O.K.

It cannot be too long a prefix. The maximum length of the name is
32. The header file is unclear if there must be a NULL at the end. It
looks like the longest switch statistic we have is
RxPkts1024toMaxPktsOctets, i.e. 25 characters. So we only have 6 or 7
characters for the prefix.

	   Andrew