Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] net: Add Qualcomm IPC router

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:14:45 -0700

On Wed 27 Apr 09:22 PDT 2016, David Miller wrote:

> From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:48:05 -0700
> 
> > +	rc = qcom_smd_send(qdev->channel, skb->data, skb->len);
> 
> I truly dislike adding networking protocols that depend upon some
> piece of infrastructure that only some platforms can enable, it's even
> worse when that set of platforms doesn't intersect with x86-64.
> 
> When you do things like this, it's quite hard to make protocol wide
> changes to APIs because build testing becomes an issue.
> 

That's a very valid concern.

> This code can now only be build tested on ARCH_QCOM architectures, and
> that's a serious negative downside.

For normal usage the QRTR_SMD doesn't make much sense to be selectable
unless QCOM_SMD is compiled in, but I can fix up the QCOM_SMD exports
and slap a COMPILE_TEST on it.

Looking at it again, we already have the conditional for QRTR and the OF
code in the driver went away a while back, so we're down to something
like:

	depends on QCOM_SMD || COMPILE_TEST

Regards,
Bjorn