Subject: [net-next PATCH V4 1/5] samples/bpf: add back functionality to redefine LLC command

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:20:53 +0200

It is practical to be-able-to redefine the location of the LLVM
command 'llc', because not all distros have a LLVM version with bpf
target support.  Thus, it is sometimes required to compile LLVM from
source, and sometimes it is not desired to overwrite the distros
default LLVM version.

This feature was removed with 128d1514be35 ("samples/bpf: Use llc in
PATH, rather than a hardcoded value").

Add this features back. Note that it is possible to redefine the LLC
on the make command like:

 make samples/bpf/ LLC=~/git/llvm/build/bin/llc

Fixes: 128d1514be35 ("samples/bpf: Use llc in PATH, rather than a hardcoded value")
Signed-off-by: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Alexei Starovoitov <[email-masked]>
---
 samples/bpf/Makefile |    6 +++++-
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/samples/bpf/Makefile b/samples/bpf/Makefile
index 744dd7a16144..5bae9536f100 100644
--- a/samples/bpf/Makefile
+++ b/samples/bpf/Makefile
@@ -81,10 +81,14 @@ HOSTLOADLIBES_spintest += -lelf
 HOSTLOADLIBES_map_perf_test += -lelf -lrt
 HOSTLOADLIBES_test_overhead += -lelf -lrt
 
+# Allows pointing LLC to a LLVM backend with bpf support, redefine on cmdline:
+#  make samples/bpf/ LLC=~/git/llvm/build/bin/llc
+LLC ?= llc
+
 # asm/sysreg.h - inline assembly used by it is incompatible with llvm.
 # But, there is no easy way to fix it, so just exclude it since it is
 # useless for BPF samples.
 $(obj)/%.o: $(src)/%.c
 	clang $(NOSTDINC_FLAGS) $(LINUXINCLUDE) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) \
 		-D__KERNEL__ -D__ASM_SYSREG_H -Wno-unused-value -Wno-pointer-sign \
-		-O2 -emit-llvm -c $< -o -| llc -march=bpf -filetype=obj -o $@
+		-O2 -emit-llvm -c $< -o -| $(LLC) -march=bpf -filetype=obj -o $@