Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH V4 1/5] samples/bpf: add back functionality to redefine LLC command

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:40:46 +0200

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:51:33 +0530
"Naveen N. Rao" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Add this features back. Note that it is possible to redefine the LLC
> > on the make command like:
> > 
> >  make samples/bpf/ LLC=~/git/llvm/build/bin/llc  
> 
> I don't have an objection to this patch, but you didn't explain why/how 
> this approach is better than just doing:
>   PATH=~/git/llvm/build/bin make samples/bpf/

It is almost the same. There is always another way to do the same.

I explicitly use this to test different combinations of LLC and CLANG,
in-order to validate Alexei's claim that older versions of CLANG could
still work with a newer version of LLC.  Thus, one use-case you
approach cannot cover ;-)

And clang seems to install a clang-3.9, which my solution also covers
by explicitly specifying CLANG=clang-3.9, if several avail clang's are
in the PATH.

-- 
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  MSc.CS, Principal Kernel Engineer at Red Hat
  Author of http://www.iptv-analyzer.org
  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer