Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 01/20] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: factorize PHY access with PPU

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 00:54:31 +0200

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 06:40:45PM -0400, Vivien Didelot wrote:
> Add a flags bitmap to the mv88e6xxx_info structure to help describing
> features supported or not by a switch model.
> 
> Add a MV88E6XXX_FLAG_PPU flag to describe switch models with a PHY
> Polling Unit. This allows to merge PPU specific PHY access code in the
> share code. In the meantime, use unlocked register accesses.
> 
> Since the PPU code is shared, also remove NET_DSA_MV88E6XXX_NEED_PPU.

> -#ifdef CONFIG_NET_DSA_MV88E6XXX_NEED_PPU
> -static int mv88e6xxx_ppu_disable(struct mv88e6xxx_priv_state *ps)
> +static int _mv88e6xxx_ppu_enable(struct mv88e6xxx_priv_state *ps, bool enable)
>  {
> -	int ret;

The change log does not say anything about refactoring
mv88e6xxx_ppu_disable() and mv88e6xxx_ppu_enable() into one function.
That should be in separate patch. Also, i don't see much value in this
refactoring. The names mv88e6xxx_ppu_disable() and
mv88e6xxx_ppu_enable() are much clearer than having one function which
takes a bool.

      Andrew