Subject: Re: [PATCH nf-next] netfilter: allow logging from non-init namespaces

From: Pablo Neira Ayuso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 11:57:26 +0200

Hi Michal,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 02:48:02PM +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
> Commit 69b34fb996b2 ("netfilter: xt_LOG: add net namespace support for
> xt_LOG") disabled logging packets using the LOG target from non-init
> namespaces. The motivation was to prevent containers from flooding
> kernel log of the host. The plan was to keep it that way until syslog
> namespace implementation allows containers to log in a safe way.
> 
> However, the work on syslog namespace seems to have hit a dead end
> somewhere in 2013 and there are users who want to use xt_LOG in all
> network namespaces. This patch allows to do so by setting

I understand this stuff is tricky. Did you contact already namespace
folks to see if they plan any move on this?

>   /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_log_all_netns

My only concern with this is that I don't see how users know what log
message has triggered from what container.

Thanks!