Subject: Re: [PATCH] phy: marvell: remove LED config override

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:38:57 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 07:42:52PM +0200, Clemens Gruber wrote:
> Configuring the PHY LED registers for the Marvell 88E1510 and others is
> not possible, because regardless of the values in marvell,reg-init, it
> is later overridden in m88e1121_config_aneg with a non-standard default.
> 
> This became visible after we moved the call of marvell_of_reg_init in
> commit 79be1a1c9090 ("phy: marvell: Fix and unify reg-init behavior").
> Moving it to _config_init was necessary due to the PHY state machine
> getting stuck if the PHY interrupts were not enabled early on.
> As that default LED configuration is set in _config_aneg, it overrides
> the marvell,reg-init configuration from the device tree.
> 
> This patch removes this override and allows the user to again set the
> PHY LED configuration through marvell,reg-init or if that does not
> exist, keep the original defaults as documented in the datasheet.

That override code exists for a reason. I don't like just removing it
without understanding why it is there. Sergei Poselenov added it as
part of the 1121 support. Maybe he knows why it is there?

     Andrew