Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 01/11] bpf: add XDP prog type for early driver filter

From: Brenden Blanco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:26:14 -0700

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:02:54PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Brenden Blanco <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:29:48 -0700
> 
> > +	WARN_ONCE(1, "\n"
> > +		     "*****************************************************\n"
> > +		     "**   NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE   **\n"
> > +		     "**                                               **\n"
> > +		     "** XDP program returned unknown value %-10u **\n"
> > +		     "**                                               **\n"
> > +		     "** XDP programs must return a well-known return  **\n"
> > +		     "** value. Invalid return values will result in   **\n"
> > +		     "** packet loss.                                  **\n"
> > +		     "**                                               **\n"
> > +		     "**   NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE   **\n"
> > +		     "*****************************************************\n",
> 
> This is rediculous.
> 
> The log message should be concise, one line, and not scream things
> like "NOTICE".  That's what the log level is for, to indicate the
> severity of the issue.
Makes sense, and I won't try this approach again. The caller of this
code continues to be much debated as well.