Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND] iwlwifi, Do not implement thermal zone unless ucode is loaded

From: Stanislaw Gruszka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:24:09 +0200

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 06:27:30PM +0000, Grumbach, Emmanuel wrote:
> I guess that works, but it seems wrong to me. Usually, registration
> should happen only upon INIT, and yes, at that time the firmware is not
> ready to provide the information yet.
<snip>
> > 
> > As can be seen in the current code base, iwl_mvm_tzone_get_temp()
> > will return
> > -EIO 100% of the time when the firmware doesn't support reading the

If I understad correctly this error happen 100% of the time, not only
during init. Hence seems there is an issue here, i.e. cur_ucode is not
marked correctly as IWL_UCODE_REGULAR or iwl_mvm_get_temp() fail
100% of the time (iwl_mvm_is_tt_in_fw() incorrecly return true on
Prarit device ? ).

BTW, you implement thermal_zone device, but do you also need hwmon
device? Perhaps using theramal_zone_params no_hwmon option would be
proper here?

Stanislaw