Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] staging/rtl8192e: use s8 instead of char

From: Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 04:39:22 +0200

Hi

On 2016-07-20, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:33:43 AM CEST Jes Sorensen wrote:
> > Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> writes:  
> > > On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:25:19 AM CEST Jes Sorensen wrote:  
> > >> Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
> Yes, I was just agreeing here that it's not worth doing that one.
> As far as I can see, the evolution of these devices is
> 
> RTL81xxU (2008)
> RTL81xxSU (2009)
> RTL81xxCU (2010)

There is also RTL81xxDU, apparently from 2011, a dualband device
coming in several variants (single MAC + single PHY, double MAC +
double PHY and double PHY); e.g. 0bda:8194 (single PHY + single MAC).

While probably not overly common, it was/ is (hardware-wise) a pretty
interesting device due to its support for 5 GHz[1] - actually I hoped
it to be a (supported-) RTL8192CU variant when I bought it. 
Unfortunately no driver[2] made it to staging or the proper kernel.

> RTL81xxEU (2013)

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1]	apparently even concurrent operations for the double MAC + 
	double PHY variants
[2]	https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8192du