Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] [net-next] igb: add function to set I210 transmit mode

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 18:11:03 +0200

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 08:27:38AM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> I really don' think this patch is going to work.  If you are going to
> implement something like this and have a hope to get it accepted into
> the Linux kernel you need to come up with a solution that will work
> fore more than this one device.  We don't want the drivers having to
> carry around their own sysfs controls for things that really are not
> proprietary to the device.  There needs to be a generic kernel
> interface for this.  The fact is something like QAV more than likely
> exists on other devices as well so it may be worth while to look into
> seeing if you could come up with some way of interfacing this with
> either ethtool ,iproute2, or maybe even the DCB/LLDP utilities since
> this is essentially splitting the Tx into two separate traffic
> classes.

Yes to all of this.
 
> Also for these kind of patches it would be best to include the netdev
> mailing list.  That way it can be reviewed by a wider audience and you
> are much more likely to get this accepted upstream rather than have it
> rejected when Jeff Kirsher attempts to submit it.

Right.  We just had a discussion about implementing TSN, and we will
need proper infrastructure in place *before* we start hacking
drivers.

Thanks,
Richard