Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2] wcn36xx: Transition driver to SMD client

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:46:23 -0700

On Fri 02 Sep 09:24 PDT 2016, Kalle Valo wrote:

> Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The wcn36xx wifi driver follows the life cycle of the WLAN_CTRL SMD
> > channel, as such it should be a SMD client. This patch makes this
> > transition, now that we have the necessary frameworks available.
> >
> > Signed-off-by: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
> 
> [...]
> 
> > --- a/drivers/net/wireless/ath/wcn36xx/Kconfig
> > +++ b/drivers/net/wireless/ath/wcn36xx/Kconfig
> > @@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
> >  config WCN36XX
> >  	tristate "Qualcomm Atheros WCN3660/3680 support"
> > -	depends on MAC80211 && HAS_DMA
> > +	depends on MAC80211 && HAS_DMA && QCOM_SMD
> 
> While I had this patch on my pending branch I noticed that I can't
> compile wcn36xx on x86 anymore. This is actually quite inconvenient, for
> example then it's easy to miss mac80211 API changes etc. Is there any
> way we could continue build testing wcn36xx on x86 (or all) platforms?
> 

Sorry about that, we should at least be able to COMPILE_TEST it in
non-qcom builds. Thanks for letting me know.

And the driver should also depend on QCOM_WCNSS_CTRL, in the normal
case.

I'll respin this, unless you prefer an incremental patch for those
changes(?)

> Also what about older platforms? Earlier I used wcn36xx on my Nexus 4
> with help of backports project. I can't do that anymore, right?
> 

This has been tested on 8064, 8974 and 8916. So your Nexus 4 is covered.

Unfortunately I don't have a Nexus 4, but we currently have Nexus 7
(the 8064 version), Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 and DB410c using this chip and
all four has been tested with this code.

I've staged the PIL/remoteproc (firmware "loader") driver for v4.9, so
with this patch the only thing missing to fill in the dts files is one
clock from the RPM.

JFYI, There seems to be some race in the removal path, which I will look
into. But I would prefer if we could merge this to make the driver
usable, and more accessible to work on.

Regards,
Bjorn