Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/2] net: phy: Add Fast Link Failure - 2 set driver for Microsemi PHYs.

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:02:28 +0200

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 05:10:33PM +0530, Raju Lakkaraju wrote:
> From: Raju Lakkaraju <[email-masked]>
> 
> VSC8531 Fast Link Failure 2 feature enables the PHY to indicate the
> onset of a potential link failure in < 100 usec for 100BASE-TX
> operation. FLF2 is supported through the MDINT (active low) pin.

Is the MDINT pin specific to this feature, or a general interrupt pin?

Device tree is used to describe the hardware. It should not really
describe software or configuration. But the borders are a bit
fluffly. Signal edge rates is near to hardware. This is a lot more
towards configuration. So i'm not sure a device tree property is the
correct way to describe this.

This is also a feature i know other PHYs support. The Marvell PHY has
a "Metro Ethernet" extension which allows it to report link failures
for 1000BASE-T in 10, 20 or 40ms, instead of the usual 750ms. So we
need a generic solution other PHYs can implement.

As with cable testing, i think it should be an ethtool option.

   Andrew