Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 5/5] net: phy: Add downshift get/set support in Microsemi PHYs driver

From: "Allan W. Nielsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 14:42:34 +0100

On 04/11/16 13:27, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > +     } else if (count) {
> > +             /* Downshift count is either 2,3,4 or 5 */
> > +             count = (((count - 2) << DOWNSHIFT_CNTL_POS) | DOWNSHIFT_EN);
> 
> Ah, now i see why + 2. But this means it never does what you ask it to
> do. It would be better to round up < 2 to 2, and leave all the others
> as is.
Not sure I understand what you mean...

If the user configure "count == 1", then you want that to be rounded up to
"count == 2", because the HW does not support a count of 1???

If the user configure count to 6, 7, 8 etc. would you also like to round it down
to 5?

I'm okay with that but not sure it is want you mean... (and it will eliminate
your comment on ERANGE - because all values will be accepted, they are just
rounded to "closet" supported value).

(The other comments is understood, and we will get them fixed).

/Allan