Subject: Re: [PATCH] mm: page_alloc: High-order per-cpu page allocator v3

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 18:34:02 +0100

(Cc. netdev, we might have an issue with Paolo's UDP accounting and
small socket queues)

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 16:35:20 +0000
Mel Gorman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I don't quite get why you are setting the socket recv size
> > (with -- -s and -S) to such a small number, size + 256.
> >   
> 
> Maybe I missed something at the time I wrote that but why would it
> need to be larger?

Well, to me it is quite obvious that we need some queue to avoid packet
drops.  We have two processes netperf and netserver, that are sending
packets between each-other (UDP_STREAM mostly netperf -> netserver).
These PIDs are getting scheduled and migrated between CPUs, and thus
does not get executed equally fast, thus a queue is need absorb the
fluctuations.

The network stack is even partly catching your config "mistake" and
increase the socket queue size, so we minimum can handle one max frame
(due skb "truesize" concept approx PAGE_SIZE + overhead).

Hopefully for localhost testing a small queue should hopefully not
result in packet drops.  Testing... ups, this does result in packet
drops.

Test command extracted from mmtests, UDP_STREAM size 1024:

 netperf-2.4.5-installed/bin/netperf -t UDP_STREAM  -l 60  -H 127.0.0.1 \
   -- -s 1280 -S 1280 -m 1024 -M 1024 -P 15895

 UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
  port 15895 AF_INET to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 15895 AF_INET
 Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                
 Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput
 bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec

   4608    1024   60.00     50024301      0    6829.98
   2560           60.00     46133211           6298.72

 Dropped packets: 50024301-46133211=3891090

To get a better drop indication, during this I run a command, to get
system-wide network counters from the last second, so below numbers are
per second.

 $ nstat > /dev/null && sleep 1  && nstat
 #kernel
 IpInReceives                    885162             0.0
 IpInDelivers                    885161             0.0
 IpOutRequests                   885162             0.0
 UdpInDatagrams                  776105             0.0
 UdpInErrors                     109056             0.0
 UdpOutDatagrams                 885160             0.0
 UdpRcvbufErrors                 109056             0.0
 IpExtInOctets                   931190476          0.0
 IpExtOutOctets                  931189564          0.0
 IpExtInNoECTPkts                885162             0.0

So, 885Kpps but only 776Kpps delivered and 109Kpps drops. See
UdpInErrors and UdpRcvbufErrors is equal (109056/sec). This drop
happens kernel side in __udp_queue_rcv_skb[1], because receiving
process didn't empty it's queue fast enough see [2].

Although upstream changes are coming in this area, [2] is replaced with
__udp_enqueue_schedule_skb, which I actually tested with... hmm

Retesting with kernel 4.7.0-baseline+ ... show something else. 
To Paolo, you might want to look into this.  And it could also explain why
I've not see the mentioned speedup by mm-change, as I've been testing
this patch on top of net-next (at 93ba2222550) with Paolo's UDP changes.

 netperf-2.4.5-installed/bin/netperf -t UDP_STREAM  -l 60  -H 127.0.0.1 \
   -- -s 1280 -S 1280 -m 1024 -M 1024 -P 15895

 UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 15895
  AF_INET to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 15895 AF_INET
 Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                
 Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput
 bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec

   4608    1024   60.00     47248301      0    6450.97
   2560           60.00     47245030           6450.52

Only dropped 47248301-47245030=3271

$ nstat > /dev/null && sleep 1  && nstat
#kernel
IpInReceives                    810566             0.0
IpInDelivers                    810566             0.0
IpOutRequests                   810566             0.0
UdpInDatagrams                  810468             0.0
UdpInErrors                     99                 0.0
UdpOutDatagrams                 810566             0.0
UdpRcvbufErrors                 99                 0.0
IpExtInOctets                   852713328          0.0
IpExtOutOctets                  852713328          0.0
IpExtInNoECTPkts                810563             0.0

And nstat is also much better with only 99 drop/sec.

-- 
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  MSc.CS, Principal Kernel Engineer at Red Hat
  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer

[1] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/ipv4/udp.c?v=4.8#L1454
[2] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/core/sock.c?v=4.8#L413

Extra: with net-next at 93ba2222550

If I use netperf default socket queue, then there is not a single
packet drop:

netperf-2.4.5-installed/bin/netperf -t UDP_STREAM  -l 60  -H 127.0.0.1  
   -- -m 1024 -M 1024 -P 15895

UDP UNIDIRECTIONAL SEND TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) 
 port 15895 AF_INET to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 15895 AF_INET
Socket  Message  Elapsed      Messages                
Size    Size     Time         Okay Errors   Throughput
bytes   bytes    secs            #      #   10^6bits/sec

212992    1024   60.00     48485642      0    6619.91
212992           60.00     48485642           6619.91

$ nstat > /dev/null && sleep 1  && nstat
#kernel
IpInReceives                    821723             0.0
IpInDelivers                    821722             0.0
IpOutRequests                   821723             0.0
UdpInDatagrams                  821722             0.0
UdpOutDatagrams                 821722             0.0
IpExtInOctets                   864457856          0.0
IpExtOutOctets                  864458908          0.0
IpExtInNoECTPkts                821729             0.0

--
To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-mm' in
the body to [email-masked].  For more info on Linux MM,
see: http://www.linux-mm.org/ .
Don't email: <a href=mailto:"[email-masked]"> [email-masked] </a>