Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/10] HFI Virtual Network Interface Controller (VNIC)

From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:07:13 -0700

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:28:06AM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

> 1) Since your intent is to make this work with multiple versions of the
> hfi drivers, I disagree with Jason that just because there is only one
> driver today that we should keep it simple.  Design it right from the
> beginning of multi driver is your intent is, IMO, a better way to go.
> You'll work out the bugs in the initial implementation and when it comes
> time to add the second driver, things will go much more smoothly.

If that is your position then this should be a straight up IB ULP that
works with any IB hardware.

There is nothing HFI specific about it except for the
micro-optimization of pushing packets via SDMA instead of post_send,
and that same micro optimization probably applies to ipoib.

In other words, lets see the first version as a straight ULP with no
special HFI hooks, then we can discuss how best to micro optimize it
for HFI SDMA.

Jason
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-rdma" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html