Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: ethernet: mvneta: add support for 2.5G DRSGMII mode

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:19:55 +0100

> It works without any other changes. ;)
> 
> Initially I looked at adding a SPEED_2500, but I wasn't sure which code
> would need to handle the new value. Would the path from the ethtool
> ioctl to the driver be enough (mvneta_ethtool_set_link_ksettings() as
> you said)?

You have this connected to an FPGA? Do you have a traditional PHY in
the FPGA? Or are you implementing something more like an Ethernet
switch?

I don't know this driver too well, but what often happens is the PHY
performs autoneg and the phylib then calls the adjust_link function to
set the MAC to what has been negotiated. So if you have a PHY attached
which can do 2.5Ghz, you might be seeing calls to adjust_link with
SPEED_2500.

What does ethtool <devname> show?

Thanks
     Andrew