Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3 06/10] net: dsa: Migrate to device_find_class()

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 22:25:00 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:59:15AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 01/19/2017 10:12 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > 
> > Back to the actual code that triggered this discussion, the whole
> > purpose is just a safeguard. Given a device reference, we can assume
> > that it is indeed the backing device for a net_device, and we could do a
> > to_net_device() right away (and crash if someone did not write correct
> > platform_data structures), or, by walking the device tree (the device
> > driver model one) we can make sure it does belong in the proper class
> > and this is indeed what we think it is.
> 
> Greg, did Russell's explanation clarify things, or do you still think
> this is completely bogus and we need to re design the whole thing?
> 
> Just asking so I can try to resubmit just the preparatory parts or just
> the whole thing.

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to this, it's lower on my list.  Should try
to get to it tomorrow...