Subject: [PATCH] NET: mkiss: Fix panic

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 14:12:11 +0100

If a USB-to-serial adapter is unplugged, the driver re-initializes, with
dev->hard_header_len and dev->addr_len set to zero, instead of the correct
values.  If then a packet is sent through the half-dead interface, the
kernel will panic due to running out of headroom in the skb when pushing
for the AX.25 headers resulting in this panic:

[<c0595468>] (skb_panic) from [<c0401f70>] (skb_push+0x4c/0x50)
[<c0401f70>] (skb_push) from [<bf0bdad4>] (ax25_hard_header+0x34/0xf4 [ax25])
[<bf0bdad4>] (ax25_hard_header [ax25]) from [<bf0d05d4>] (ax_header+0x38/0x40 [mkiss])
[<bf0d05d4>] (ax_header [mkiss]) from [<c041b584>] (neigh_compat_output+0x8c/0xd8)
[<c041b584>] (neigh_compat_output) from [<c043e7a8>] (ip_finish_output+0x2a0/0x914)
[<c043e7a8>] (ip_finish_output) from [<c043f948>] (ip_output+0xd8/0xf0)
[<c043f948>] (ip_output) from [<c043f04c>] (ip_local_out_sk+0x44/0x48)

This patch makes mkiss behave like the 6pack driver. 6pack does not
panic.  In 6pack.c sp_setup() (same function name here) the values for
dev->hard_header_len and dev->addr_len are set to the same values as in
my mkiss patch.

[[email-masked]: Massages original submission to conform to the usual
standards for patch submissions.]

Signed-off-by: Thomas Osterried <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>

---

 drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c b/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c
index 1dfe230..e0a6b1a 100644
--- a/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c
+++ b/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c
@@ -648,8 +648,8 @@ static void ax_setup(struct net_device *dev)
 {
 	/* Finish setting up the DEVICE info. */
 	dev->mtu             = AX_MTU;
-	dev->hard_header_len = 0;
-	dev->addr_len        = 0;
+	dev->hard_header_len = AX25_MAX_HEADER_LEN;
+	dev->addr_len        = AX25_ADDR_LEN;
 	dev->type            = ARPHRD_AX25;
 	dev->tx_queue_len    = 10;
 	dev->header_ops      = &ax25_header_ops;