Subject: Re: [PATCH net] bridge: ebtables: fix reception of frames DNAT-ed to bridge device

From: Linus Lüssing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 01:09:47 +0100

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 05:55:06PM +0100, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 02:10:44PM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> > Wait.
> > 
> > May this break local multicast listener that are bound to the bridge
> > interface? Assuming the bridge interface got an IP address, and that
> > there is local multicast listener.
> > 
> > Missing anything here?
> 
> Hm, for multicast packets usually the code path a few lines
> later in br_handle_frame_finish() should be taken instead.
> 
> But you might be right for IP multicast packets with a unicast MAC
> destination (due to whatever reason, for instance via DNAT'ing
> again).
> 
> Will check that - thanks!

Ok, I tested DNAT'ing an IP multicast packet to the unicast MAC address
of the bridge interface.

Both ping-ing to an IPv4 and IPv6 multicast listener on br0 worked
and was replied to fine, both with or without changing skb->pkt_type
from PACKET_MULTICAST to PACKET_HOST.
("$ ping 224.1.0.123" and "$ ping6 ff02::1:ff40:707c%in0" from a
 network namespace, tied into the bridge via veth)

Also, a DNAT'ed PACKET_BROADCAST worked, with or without changing
it to PACKET_HOST.

I also checked via tcpdump that the destination MAC was changed
successfully.

So, so far I wasn't able to find any bugs with the current
patch. But I think I like the idea of leaving the skb->pkt_type
unaltered for PACKET_MULTICAST and PACKET_BROADCAST, seems cleaner.

I'd just add an "if (skb->pkt_type == PACKET_OTHERHOST)" check
then and resend a PATCH v2.