Subject: Re: [Outreachy kernel] [PATCH] net: netfilter: Remove complexity

From: Pablo Neira Ayuso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 17:26:07 +0200

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 06:30:56PM +0530, Arushi Singhal wrote:
> To remove complexity of code the function is added in nfnetlink.h
> to make code more clear and readable.

Patch looks good, you can also use this new function from other
_fill_info() functions in the netfilter code, eg.

        nfnl_cthelper_fill_info()

Take the time to make a careful look at the netfilter tree to see if
we can have a good bunch of new clients of this function in one go.
Most likely many of the nfnetlink_*.c files can use this.

BTW, you can also indicate in your patch description that this is
opencoded in a way that makes it error prone for future netfilter
netlink subsystems.

Please search for a better patch title, this one is too generic. I
understand selecting a good patch title is something that exercise.

I'd suggest this:

        netfilter: add nfnl_msg_type() helper function

Never give up, revamp and resubmit, thanks!