Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/2] net: dsa: dsa2: Add basic support of devlink

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:17:06 +0200

Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 07:36:24PM CEST, [email-masked] wrote:
>> Tangential question: we do not currently report to user space what kind
>> of switch tagging protocol is used (DSA, eDSA etc.) I was going to add a
>> sysfs attribute for that under the switch device's directory, but maybe
>> devlink would be more appropriate for that?
>
>We don't report it. What are you thinking you want to do with this
>information?
>
>I suppose it might be possible to teach libpcap/tcpdump about it, so
>it can slide in an additional dissector. EDSA you can detect anyway,
>since it uses a well know Ethertype. tcpdump already supports
>this. But the other tag protocols cannot be detected.
>
>devlink does seem like a good candidate for this, make it part of the
>port type.

I agree this could go out via devlink. Not sure exactly what attr.
Certainly some new.

>     Andrew