Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4] net: dsa: LAN9303: add MDIO managed mode support

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:25:55 +0200

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:53:10AM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> 
> 
> On 04/05/2017 12:32 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >> +static const struct of_device_id lan9303_mdio_of_match[] = {
> >> +	{ .compatible = "smsc,lan9303" },
> >> +	{ /* sentinel */ },
> >> +};
> >> +MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(of, lan9303_mdio_of_match);
> > 
> > If i'm reading this right, i think you have the same compatible string
> > for both the i2c and the mdio driver. Does that work? I've no idea.
> 
> This should not be a problem, actually, this does seem like the right
> thing to do. The bus topology would solve the Linux device creation such
> that you would probe either via mdio or i2c (or both) but through the
> appropriate drivers' probe functions.

Hi Florian

I was more thinking about what happens when there is a call out to
userspace to find a kernel module to load to driver this hardware.  Is
the compatible string used for this? Is the subsystem string also used
when finding the correct kernel module?

	 Andrew