Subject: Re: [patch net-next 0/6] introduce trap control action to tc and offload it

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 17:46:51 +0200

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 04:38:26PM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
> 
> This patchset introduces a control action dedicated to indicate
> to trap the matched packet to CPU. This is specific action for
> HW offloads. Also, the patchset offloads the action to mlxsw driver.
> 
> Example usage:
> $ tc filter add dev enp3s0np19 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 20 flower skip_sw dst_ip 192.168.10.1 action trap

Hi Jiri

So i assume this means a frame ingressing on the switch port
enp3s0np19 matching the filter is now visible on the linux enp3s0np19
interface?  How do you avoid Linux processing it? If enp3s0np19 is a
member of a bridge, we don't want the software bridge processing it
and forwarding it out another port, since i assume the hardware has
already done this. Or does the trap stop further processing of the
frame by the hardware?

Thanks
      Andrew