Subject: Re: [patch net-next 0/6] introduce trap control action to tc and offload it

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 21:43:17 +0200

Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 05:46:51PM CEST, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 04:38:26PM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> This patchset introduces a control action dedicated to indicate
>> to trap the matched packet to CPU. This is specific action for
>> HW offloads. Also, the patchset offloads the action to mlxsw driver.
>> 
>> Example usage:
>> $ tc filter add dev enp3s0np19 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 20 flower skip_sw dst_ip 192.168.10.1 action trap
>
>Hi Jiri
>
>So i assume this means a frame ingressing on the switch port
>enp3s0np19 matching the filter is now visible on the linux enp3s0np19

Yes.

>interface?  How do you avoid Linux processing it? If enp3s0np19 is a

On contrary. I want Linux to process it. The packet was stolen from the
offloaded fastpath to kernel.

>member of a bridge, we don't want the software bridge processing it
>and forwarding it out another port, since i assume the hardware has
>already done this. Or does the trap stop further processing of the
>frame by the hardware?

Exactly the latter :) Thanks!

>Thanks
>      Andrew