Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/11] net: phy: Add rockchip phy driver support

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 16:04:06 +0200

> hmm, we do have quite a number of non-net phys in the phy subsystem
> (DP, PCIe, ...) and given that the above would be CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_PHY
> in a global sense, sounds like it could make things confusing.
> 
> So some addition sounds reasonable ... ROCKCHIP_ETH_PHY or so?

I follow you reasoning, but generic phy is the new kid on the
block. It is well established that Ethernet PHYs are called
<MANUFACTURER>_PHY.

If you do want to consider generic phy, the logical name would be
ROCKCHIP_PHY_PHY, since generic phy postfixes with _SATA, _USB, _PCIE,
etc. But that does leave an issues when we have an Ethernet PHY which
needs a generic PHY. In some sense, SERDES could be considered as
something supported by a generic PHY...

	Andrew
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html