Subject: Re: [PATCH 000/102] Convert drivers to explicit reset API

From: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni-wi1+55ScJUtKEb57/[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 21:15:15 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:25:04 +0200, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> The reset control API has two modes: exclusive access, where the driver
> expects to have full and immediate control over the state of the reset
> line, and shared (clock-like) access, where drivers only request reset
> deassertion while active, but don't care about the state of the reset line
> while inactive.
> 
> Commit a53e35db70d1 ("reset: Ensure drivers are explicit when requesting
> reset lines") started to transition the reset control request API calls
> to explicitly state whether the driver needs exclusive or shared reset
> control behavior.
> 
> This series converts all drivers that currently implicitly request
> exclusive reset controls to the corresponding explicit API call. It is,
> for the most part, generated from the following semantic patch:
> 
> @@
> expression rstc, dev, id;
> @@
> -rstc = reset_control_get(dev, id);
> +rstc = reset_control_get_exclusive(dev, id);

I don't know if it has been discussed in the past, so forgive me if it
has been. Have you considered adding a "int flags" argument to the
existing reset_control_get_*() functions, rather than introducing
separate exclusive variants ?

Indeed, with a "int flags" argument you could in the future add more
variants/behaviors without actually multiplying the number of
functions. Something like the "flags" argument for request_irq() for
example.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
http://free-electrons.com