Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] how to submit fixes for i40e/i40evf?

From: Stefano Brivio <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 00:28:52 +0200

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:10:08 -0700
Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Stefano Brivio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Once patches reach Intel's patchwork, will they need to wait for some
> > kind of periodically scheduled pull request process?  
> 
> Once in the patchwork they go through testing and after they have
> passed testing Jeff will try to push them to Dave.

Ok, the whole part above is clear, thanks a lot for clarifying.

> > I don't know if a process is actually defined at this level of detail,
> > but still I feel it's wrong that an obvious fix for a potential crash is
> > waiting in some sort of limbo for 10 days now. Sure, worse things
> > happen in the world, but I can't understand what this patch is waiting
> > for.  
> 
> Well in the case of your patch it was rejected as it didn't apply to
> Jeff's tree

It actually did when I posted it.

> and conflicted with Jacob Keller's patch. He submitted a v2 on Tuesday
> which has only been applied for a few days. Once it receives a
> "Tested-by:"

Which, if I understood correctly, only comes after some internal testing
process, right?

> it will be ready for submission assuming it passes testing.

Now that patch is again in a v2 pull request for net-next, without the
changes I suggested for the commit message. And the same exact code
changes were around for two weeks. IMHO there's room for improvement,
so to speak.

> I hope that helps to clarify things.

It did to some extent, and thanks again for that.