Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 3/4] net: add NSH header structures and helpers

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 19:10:49 +0200

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:43:23 +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> This patch adds NSH header structures and helpers for NSH GSO
> support and Open vSwitch NSH support.
> 
> [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh/

One thing to know before applying this to the kernel: NSH is still a
draft. It's not standardized yet. And the draft evolves, compare the
version from February to the latest one:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-12#section-3.2
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-19#section-2.2

There's really no guarantee there won't be further changes.

This patchset by itself is harmless as there's no user and everything
can be changed. We should think through any uAPIs we're going to merge,
though. We don't want to repeat the problems with VXLAN and changed UDP
port.

Again, this patchset is harmless and can be applied even if the draft
changes. Further patches may not be and need to be designed very
carefully.

 Jiri