Subject: Re: Ethtool question

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:44:07 -0400

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 09:51:56AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I noticed today that setting some ethtool settings to the same value
> returns an error code.  I would think this should silently return
> success instead?  Makes it easier to call it from scripts this way:
> 
> [root@lf0313-6477 lanforge]# ethtool -L eth3 combined 1
> combined unmodified, ignoring
> no channel parameters changed, aborting
> current values: tx 0 rx 0 other 1 combined 1
> [root@lf0313-6477 lanforge]# echo $?
> 1

I just had this discussion a couple of months ago with someone. My
initial feeling was like you, a no-op is not a failure. But someone
convinced me otherwise...I will now endeavour to remember who that
was and how they convinced me...

Anyone else have input here?

John
-- 
John W. Linville		Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email-masked]			might be all we have.  Be ready.