Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2] net: mvpp2: add ethtool GOP statistics

From: Miquel RAYNAL <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 22:02:30 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> > Here I do have a problem: I choose the IDA solution because it was
> > quite straightforward but I agree it would be better to use an
> > unique name. Unfortunately, on the Armada-8040-DB that instantiate
> > this driver twice, the node name is not unique. There are two CP
> > (master and slave) and both names are "ethernet@0". Otherwise, if I
> > use the full path, I get something like
> > "/cp110-master/config-space@f2000000/ethernet@0" and
> > "/cp110-slave/config-space@f4000000/ethernet@0" but the problem is
> > that workqueue names are truncated to 24 characters and only 15
> > appears in ps, so it would not solve the issue and choosing the
> > "parent parent node name" would work here but does not scale very
> > well. Do you have any idea to get this right?  
> 
> Hi Miquel
> 
> You could move the starting of the thread into mvpp2_port_probe(). If
> you do it after register_netdev(dev), you can use netdev_name(dev).
> 
>     Andrew

There is one workqueue per instance of the driver, not per port.
Hence, I choose to use the netdev_name() (short) with a '+' after it
if there are other ports involved, ie. "stats-wq-eth0+" and
"stats-wq-eth2+".

Thanks for your help,
Miquèl