Subject: Re: CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_SPLIT impacts on faddr2line

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:51:40 -0800

> I wonder if there is some way to use the split format for the
> intermediate files, but then for the very final link bring them all in
> and make the end result be a traditional single binary. I'm not
> talking the separate "dwp" package that packs multiple dwo files into
> one, but to actually link them all in at the one.
> 
> Sure, it would lose some of the advantage, but I think a large portion
> of the -gsplit-dwarf advantage is about the intermediate state. No?

Not sure it's worth to do complicated workarounds. I assume
it will be not that difficult to fix binutils (after all
gdb works), and disabling the option is a reasonable workaround.

> 
> I tried to google for it, but couldn't find anything. But apparently
> elfutils doesn't support dwo files either. It seems mainly the linker
> and gdb itself that supports it.

The original design document is

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebugFission

-Andi