Subject: [PATCH net 2/4] bpf: remove explicit handling of 0 for arg2 in bpf_probe_read

From: Gianluca Borello <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:32:54 +0000

Commit 9c019e2bc4b2 ("bpf: change helper bpf_probe_read arg2 type to
ARG_CONST_SIZE_OR_ZERO") changed arg2 type to ARG_CONST_SIZE_OR_ZERO to
simplify writing bpf programs by taking advantage of the new semantics
introduced for ARG_CONST_SIZE_OR_ZERO which allows <!NULL, 0> arguments.

In order to prevent the helper from actually passing a NULL pointer to
probe_kernel_read, which can happen when <NULL, 0> is passed to the helper,
the commit also introduced an explicit check against size == 0.

After the recent introduction of the ARG_PTR_TO_MEM_OR_NULL type,
bpf_probe_read can not receive a pair of <NULL, 0> arguments anymore, thus
the check is not needed anymore and can be removed, since probe_kernel_read
can correctly handle a <!NULL, 0> call. This also fixes the semantics of
the helper before it gets officially released and bpf programs start
relying on this check.

Fixes: 9c019e2bc4b2 ("bpf: change helper bpf_probe_read arg2 type to ARG_CONST_SIZE_OR_ZERO")
Signed-off-by: Gianluca Borello <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Alexei Starovoitov <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Yonghong Song <[email-masked]>
---
 kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c | 6 +-----
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c b/kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c
index a5580c670866..728909f7951c 100644
--- a/kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c
+++ b/kernel/trace/bpf_trace.c
@@ -78,16 +78,12 @@ EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(trace_call_bpf);

 BPF_CALL_3(bpf_probe_read, void *, dst, u32, size, const void *, unsafe_ptr)
 {
-	int ret = 0;
-
-	if (unlikely(size == 0))
-		goto out;
+	int ret;

 	ret = probe_kernel_read(dst, unsafe_ptr, size);
 	if (unlikely(ret < 0))
 		memset(dst, 0, size);

- out:
 	return ret;
 }